Title 1 Approved
(Grades K-2) At your word building corner, set up these task cards to support the acquisition of word knowledge. Students work independently on specific tasks that are aimed at their actual level of language development.
Developed with authors Linda Dorn, Carla Soffos, and Teresa Treat, the Task Cards for Comprehensive Literacy Model are proven successful in Reading First Schools Nationwide and supports the development of reading, writing and spelling systems with manipulative-based, multi-sensory interactive tasks that promote problem solving!
Buy the complete Set 1 - Word Building Literacy Task Cards and save an extra 10 percent (includes three levels: Emergent, Early and Transitional)!
The task cards engage the students in meaningful activity and ensure success because they are written in short, readable sentences. The problem solving nature of the tasks asks that students actively manipulate sounds and vocabulary building concepts with letters, pictures and words, and end each task with a sereflective writing component. And, above all, the task cards are fun because students have success, read and write at their instructional level and actively interact with the materials. The complete set includes all three levels: Literacy Task Cards Set 1: Word Building - Emergent Level
Literacy Task Cards Set 1: Word Building - Early Level
- The goal of the emergent level task cards is to promote students’ attention to print, the tasks promote opportunities to hear sounds within words and to sequence letters in some known words.
- Includes: 24 tasks including 198 picture cards, 20 word cards, and 10 category cards.
- Skills: clapping out syllables, matching rhyming words, matching beginning and ending sounds, matching words to pictures, and building words.
Literacy Task Cards Set 1: Word Building - Transitional Level
- These more efficient readers engage in more complex searching behaviors to solve problems within text; near the end of this level, students begin to notice the spelling patterns within words. The tasks support students as they move from phonetic spelling to transitional spelling.
- Includes: 34 tasks including 175 picture cards, 180 word cards, and 82 category cards.
- Skills: clapping out syllables, matching rhyming words, sorting words, building words, beginning and ending consonant digraphs and blends, inflectional endings, compound words, contractions, vowel patterns including medial and final e, digraphs, diphthongs, and r-controlled vowels.
- Students have a range of flexible strategies for working on text so they do more tasks that require them to take words apart, use more complex analogies to analyze words, and apply visual analysis strategies.
- Includes: 37 tasks including 165 picture cards, 39 word cards, and 77 category cards.
- Skills: clapping out syllables, matching rhyming words, sorting words, beginning and ending consonant digraphs and blends, inflectional endings, compound words, contractions, spelling patterns of high utility phonograms, vowel patterns including digraphs, diphthongs, and r-controlled vowels.
*Please note: in order to make these materials as affordable as possible for teachers, the task cards, picture cards and word cards are delivered in sheets and do require cutting. Many teachers have told us this is a great task to ask parent assistants to help out with! Labels, mini storage baskets and foam letters shown in the demonstration videos are sold separately.