Friendly Letter to a Leprechaun Template February 13 2011
Your students will enjoy learning how to write a friendly letter to a leprechaun this Saint Patrick's Day. Students learn the appropriate placement of the date, greeting, body, closing and signature.
- Friendly Letter to a Leprechaun template
- Friendly Letter to a Leprechaun template (transparency for the teacher)
- Word wall, Words Writing Book or dictionary
- Green 9"x12" construction paper (optional)
- Tape or glue (optional)
- Before getting started it can be helpful to to a pre-assessment. Here's more about the Friendly Letter pre-assessment.
[caption id="attachment_7745" align="alignright" width="300" caption="Here's a printable "Friendly Letters to a Leprechaun" bulletin board title. Tape this printable onto green 9"x12" construction paper and post it towards the top of your classroom bulletin board with student letters underneath the title."][/caption]
- Put your Friendly Letter to the Leprechaun on the overhead. Model writing the letter. Review the appropriate placement of the date, greeting, body, closing and signature.
- Model proofreading, such as spelling, grammar, capital letters, punctuation, correcting run-on sentences or sentences that are cut short.
- Brain storm/discuss what they would like to write the the leprechaun.
- Write the Friendly Letter to a Leprechaun.
- Proofread independently.
- Proofread with a buddy.
- Proofread with the teacher.
- Tape or glue the friendly letter to green construction paper, so it's all ready to put on the classroom Friendly Letter to a Leprechaun bulletin board.
- Leprechaun Traps, science (see link for a letter from the leprechaun and art for students to color and decorate their traps).
- Practice handwriting (cursive).
- Type the friendly letters on the computer, technology. Take photos of the above leprechaun traps and pictures of the footprintsfrom the leprechaun. Have students create a slideshow using KidPix. Display the slideshow on your classroom television or computer at Open House night.
- Writer’s Workshop, My Leprechaun Trap Mini-Book and Puppet