Baby Chick Craft, Math and Writing Lesson March 01 2010
Appropriate for Grades: K-2
- free baby chick beak, feet and box template
- free My Baby Chick writers' workshop book (black & white or color)
- yellow yarn
- wiggly eyes
- paper towel or toilet paper roll
- plastic green grass, hay or real grass and leaves
Instructions for the Chick's Body:
- Write the student's name on the paper towel roll with a pen.
- Student wraps the yarn around the roll at least 100 times. (Counting to 100 is a required math skill for Kindergarten.)
- Tie a knot around one side of the loop of yarn. (Adult help may be needed. Student can help by pressing a finger into the knot as the adult ties the knot a second time.)
- Student cuts the yarn to make round ball. Turn the ball of yarn in a circular motion while cutting to make it even.
- Student glues on the wiggly eyes.
- Color the basket, beak and feet.
- Cut on the solid lines.
- Fold on the dotted lines.
- Glue the beak and feet onto the baby chick's body.
- Tape the sides of the basket together.
- Fill with grass.
- Put your baby chick inside.
- Write a story about your baby chick inside the My Baby Chick writers’ workshop book.
Helpful Writers' Workshop Free Printables: