Winter Warm Fuzzy Craft December 11 2009
The Winter Warm Fuzzy makes a perfect gift, or keep him for yourself. Give your warm fuzzy a name and write a special note on the sentence strip above his feet. As an optional winter sporting activity, your warm fuzzy can ride his very own sled.
Teachers, students can write about their Winter Warm Fuzzy during writers' workshop, too.
- Googly eyes
- Feet and sentence strip (The optional sled instructions are also on this template.)
- Com poms (2)
- Chenille stems
- Pen or pencil
- Hold open the palm of your hand. Hold together all four of your fingers. Start wrapping the yarn around your fingers. Use your thumb to hold the end of the yarn in place until the yarn starts to hold in place on its own. You will need to go around your fingers at least 100 times. The more yarn you use, the bigger your warm fuzzy will be. It's okay if the yarn needs to be cut, just keep wrapping the yarn over your fingers.
- After you have looped around your fingers at least 100 times, pull the yarn off of your hand. You will see the yarn looped around at least 100 times.
- Cut about 5 inches of yarn and use it to tie a knot to hold the loops together. (It's a good idea to have the teacher do this part. The student can use a finger to press down on the knot as it is being tied to make sure it is tight.)
- Cut open the loop on the exact opposite side as the knot.
- Hold the center of the warm fuzzy with your fingers and start cutting around the edges of the fuzz ball. Keep going until you start to create a circular shape.
- Glue googly eyes onto the warm fuzzy.
- Glue the sentence strip and feet onto the warm fuzzy. (Read the template for details.)
- Bend a chenille stem around the warm fuzzy. (This will be the ear warmers.)
- Cut the chenille stem where you want the pom poms to be (ear warmers).
- Glue the pom poms on each side of the chenille stem. (If you glue it together off of the warm fuzzy, you can later take the ear muffs on or off. If you glue them onto the side of the warm fuzzy the earmuffs will be stuck to his head.)
- Give your warm fuzzy to a family member or friend as a gift or keep him for yourself.
Create a Winter Warm Fuzzy Sled.
[caption id="attachment_4218" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="Underneath the sled you can see six popsicle sticks. Two on each side re-inforce the center stick. Sprinkle silver glitter on the glue to look like snow."][/caption]