Free "Scarecrow Math" Lesson Plan! October 23 2009
This lesson is easy to differentiate depending upon the assessed math skills of the child.
Appropriate for Grades K-3
Each child can create any of the following types of word problems:
Addition - Add all the scarecrows on the page. Add all the pumpkins on the page.
Subtraction - Draw a crow eating the pumpkins to subtract pumpkins.
Division- Dividing the pumpkins being protected from the crows by a scarecrow of their own solves the the division problem.
Multiplication - Multiplying the pumpkins around each scarecrow solves the multiplication problem.
The student writes the word problem on the paper.
- Free "Scarecrow Math" template
- Green or yellow construction paper
- Orange glitter
Directions for the Multiplication and Division Problems:
- Decide what the numbers will be. (e.g. 3 x 2 = 6 and 6 ÷ 2 = 3).
- Color & cut out the pumpkins and scarecrows to make the problem.
- Glue the pumpkins around the scarecrows to create the problem.
(e.g. 2 scarecrows, 6 pumpkins, 3 pumpkins being protected by each scarecrow.)
- Write the numbers showing the problems underneath the picture showing the problems.
(e.g. 3 x 2 = 6 and 6 ÷ 2 = 3).
Create a classroom bulletion board with enlarged photocopies of the attached free template. Solve a few word problem together on the bulletin board or felt board as an example before the students get started on their own. Teachers can also make overhead transparencies of the scarecrows and pumpkins to use for instruction.
Spooky Math Technology Games
Here's a link to a page with free interactive math games for the computer lab this week!
Be sure to scroll down all the way to see the links.