Free "Pumpkin Seed Math Game" Template & Craft September 26 2009
- Free "Pumpkin Seed Math Game" Template
- construction paper (orange for pumpkin & green or brown for stem)
- egg carton
- tape or glue
- pumpkin seeds or beans (1 seed per student)
- black marker
- A piece of scratch paper to keep track of scores.
- Use the free template to trace a pumpkin onto the cardboard.
- Cover the cardboard pumpkin with orange construction paper.
- Glue or tape on the green stem.
- Cut out 7 cups from the egg carton.
- Paint each cup yellow. (Let the paint dry.)
- As the paint is drying, write a number "2" (or whatever # you want to practice) on each seed with the permanent black marker. (1 seed per student).
- Write the numbers 1-7 inside each yellow cup.
- Glue or tape the cups to the orange pumpkin in the shape of a Jack-o'-lantern.
Play the Game
Each student has 3 beans or pumpkin seeds. Each seed has the number of study on it (e.g. 2)
Try to throw the seed/bean inside the cups. Each time you make it in the cup add or multiply (depending upon if you are studying addition or multiplication) the total on the seed and the cup. For example, if you have 2 on the seed and you have a 5 on the cup and you were studying addition, you would add 2 + 5 = 7. (If you were studying multiplication, 2 x 5 = 10.)
Let each student playing the game do this three times. Take one turn and then give the seed to your neighbor. You will take turns until you each have three tries.
The person with the highest score wins.
Different Season - You could also make a heart, apple or snowman instead of a pumpkin.
Division or Subtraction - You could also use the number on the seed and the number in the cup in a subtraction or division problem.
Differentiate Instruction - After assessements, you can assign each student a seed with the number most challening to him. For example, if the student finds multiplying by 3 challenging. Give the student a seed with the number 3 on it.